Heartland Health Authority believes all work conducted by and within the health region should be done within ethical standards as reflected in a Code of Ethics.
- Provide safe, compassionate, competent care
- Provide service with dignity, honesty and respect to all people
- Encourage the trust and confidence of the public through high standards of professional competence and conduct.
- Preserve and respect the confidentiality of any information; either medical, personal or related to the organization
- Practice informed decision-making
- Be accountable for service
- Listen to and respect client and family concerns and decisions
- Adhere to specific professional Codes of Ethics
Health Ethics Consultation
Problems and disagreements regarding the moral or “right” thing to do occasionally arise in the course of health care provision.These problems can create “ethical distress” for clients,their families/representatives, and healthcare workers. It is available when requested, to clients and their representatives; to Region staff;to physicians practicing in the Region’s facilities and agencies; and to other involved parties.
The goal of a health ethics consultation is to improve the provision of health care and its outcome through the identification, analysis and resolution of ethical issues. Health ethics consultation is a service provided by an individual or group to help patients, families, substitute decision makers,health care providers, or other involved parties address uncertainty or conflict regarding value-laden issues that emerge in health care. (Aulisio, 2000)
Requests for, and participation in health ethics consultations are voluntary, and consultations and subsequent case reviews are, by their nature, advisory. The consultation service and case review process will serve to facilitate a guided discussion of the issues, and offer recommendations, opinions and/or advice, none of which are binding. The appropriate decision-makers are free to accept or reject any advice provided.
To Request a Health Ethics Consultation in Heartland Health Region:
- Call the Heartland Health Region Corporate Office at 306-882-4111 ext. 2327. Your request will be taken by an administrative assistant and they will ask you for your name, contact information, and whether the issue is urgent or non-urgent. The information will be immediately forwarded to one of the Co-Chairs (or assigned designate) of the Regional Ethics Advisory Committee.
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- By mail to Ethics Contact, PO Box 2110 Rosetown SK S0L 2V0
- You will be contacted by a member of the Ethics Advisory Committee for further information and discussion of your issue.