The Region has 82 acute care beds in seven communities. The Heartland Health Region District Hospital is located in Kindersley. Community hospitals are located in Biggar, Outlook, Rosetown, Davidson, Kerrobert and Unity. Each of these hospitals continuously meets the expectations outlined in the Action Plan for Saskatchewan Health Care. Heartland Health Region is part of the Saskatchewan Surgical Care Network.
Emergency Services are provided by professional health care staff. These services include the initial assessment and triage of all outpatients, stabilization and transfer to appropriate emergency service, thrombolytic therapy, observation and stabilization. Health Centres in Biggar, Outlook, Rosetown, Davidson, Kerrobert, Unity and Wilkie provide emergency stabilization.
Specialty services available in Heartland
• Surgical services in Kindersley and Rosetown, including services provided by itinerant surgeons
• Endoscopy programs in Rosetown and Kindersley
• Cardiac stress testing is also provided in Rosetown
• Obstetrical services are provided in two acute locations in Kindersley and Rosetown
• Paediatric services
• Diagnostic services (lab and x-ray) are offered in 16 locations. The Region provides ultrasound services in Rosetown, Biggar, Unity and Kindersley.
Alternate Level of Care Beds
In addition to acute care, the Region provides 58 beds for programs which can be used for:
• Palliative Care – for clients who have been diagnosed as terminal with a life expectancy of weeks or months
•Convalescent care - for patients who no longer require Acute services but still need additional recuperative care
•Respite care and Night care – provides temporary care to relieve family or other support caregivers
•Observation – for patients who require nursing assessment and/or intervention for a short period of time, usually 24 hours or less