EMS in Heartland Health Region Becoming an EMR
On this page you will find information about Mandatory Education Requirements for Becoming an EMR
Becoming an EMR, What You Need to Know…
Have you ever thought about becoming an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) to work EMS in the Heartland Health Region? Wonder what you would need to do to become an EMR? Well here is what you need to know…
For those who wish to work for a Heartland Health Region EMS Service as an EMR will have to meet the following requirements prior to employment:
- Submit an Application & Resume to Heartland Health Region
- Resume MUST have three references, at least one reference must be from a previous supervisor
- Clean Criminal Record Check
- Class 4 Drivers License
- Clean SGI Driver Abstract
- Registered as an unrestricted practicing EMR with Saskatchewan College of Paramedics
- Copies of all applicable training certificates (i.e. EMR course certificate, CPR card, etc.)
- Interview with local EMS Coordinator and the EMS Care Team Manager/Director of EMS
- Successful completion of the Heartland EMS Minimum Conditioning and Lifting Test
Taking the EMR program does not guarantee employment with Heartland Health Region; applicants will follow the same hiring processes as any other individual applying for employment with the Heartland Health Region.
To be eligible for employment with the Heartland Health Region as an EMR you will first need to:
- 1. Complete the two weekend First Responder program
- 2. Complete the two weekend EMR program (cost of this course is the responsibility of the applicant; cost can vary on number of people in the program. Approximately $450-$750 and requires a $200 deposit when registering)
- 3. Write and pass the Saskatchewan College of Paramedics EMR Licensing Exam (cost of exam is responsibility of the applicant, cost is $300)
- 4. Register with the Saskatchewan College of Paramedics as an EMR (cost of registration is responsibility of the applicant, cost is $470)
- 5. Once all of the above requirements are complete you will be eligible to be employed with the Heartland Health Region as an EMR.
The Heartland Health Region recognizes that taking the EMR training program and becoming registered with the Saskatchewan College of Paramedics (SCoP) is expensive when there are no guarantees that an applicant will be hired to work EMS. To assist with this the Heartland Health Region will conduct pre-employment interviews when requested by those interested in taking the EMR program. After the pre-employment interview the applicant will be informed if they appear to be a good candidate for employment with EMS. The pre-employment interview is not a guarantee of employment with EMS but will give applicants a better idea of the expectations of EMRs in the Region. If the applicant is chosen for employment after the EMR course they will be notified and begin the EMS hiring process. Once the hiring process is finalized the applicant will be hired and start orientation.
Interested in becoming an EMR?
If you are interested in becoming an EMR or have any more questions, please contact Jim Cheyne, EMS Care Team Manager at (306) 867-8676 ext419.